This parable reveals the secret of how the Kingdom of God grows. It starts out as a tiny seed of faith in the hearts of His believers and then multiplies and spreads its rule to fill the whole earth.
Two things to remember about the parables of Yahweh. First, they reveal hidden secrets to only those who are supposed to “get it.” Second, they are about the “good news” that God is the King of His kingdom, and it is coming to this earth with a vengeance, literally (See post “Parables Conceal the Mysteries of God” at https://immortalityroad.wordpress.com/2008/05/04/parables-conceal-the-mysteries-of-god/ ).
And this parable is how it grows into planetary dominance. “The kingdom of heaven is like to a grain of mustard seed, which a man took, and sowed in his field, which indeed is the least of all seeds, but when it is grown, it is the greatest among herbs, and becomes a tree, so that the birds of the air come and lodge in the branches thereof” (Matt. 13:31-32).
The key to understanding this parable is found in another statement by Christ about a mustard seed. “If you have faith the size of a grain of mustard seed, you shall say to this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove” (Matt. 17:20). Here He links “faith” to a mustard seed. The literal seed is small, and our faith/belief is small at first, also.
Here’s the breakdown:
- A man took mustard seed and sowed it into his field = Christ placed the word, the seed of faith-in-His-resurrection into our hearts which is in our earth-ly bodies. “The field” = the world (Mt. 13:38). So now God’s children have His faith in them and they “are in the world, but not of the world.”
- The mustard seed grows = our tiny little belief in Christ grows. Our testimonies win others and help others know Him. More people are born of His Spirit and enter His spiritual kingdom.
- And the mustard seed grows into a tree = The children of the kingdom of God grow into a strong entity, governed by His Spirit.
- And the tree filled the whole earth = Here the kingdom of God, who is a Spirit living in our hearts, will grow and grow until someday soon Christ will literally return and set up the throne of His father David in the earth.
- And the birds of the air shall lodge in its branches = These birds are the worldly goat nations who will not have fully accepted Christ as their King. The prophets speak of a time during the 1000 year reign of Christ when nations who do not give honor unto the King will have their rain withheld until they learn to humble themselves in His presence.
When Christ returns to His true followers, He will set up rule through them over the whole earth. All the prophecies point to it. This kingdom is the gospel proclaimed by Christ and His prophets throughout the ages. This is the stone kingdom “not cut out with man’s hands” that shall smash all of man’s corrupt governments.
His kingdom starts with a new spirit and new heart that He gives to those who willingly allow their old self to die with Christ (see http://www.yahwehisthesavior.com/sonsintro.htm “Our Old Nature Must Die on the Cross”).
“The kingdom of God is within you” because His Spirit now abides in His children and governs them. When we receive Him in our heart, the Kingdom of God comes to earth! His Spirit in us is the “seed beginning” of His earth-wide rule and reign.
Yes, it is small now, like a grain of mustard seed. Christ is that seed growing in us, growing into a mighty kingdom wherein dwells righteousness. Kenneth Wayne Hancock